History

It all began in 1957 when Walter Müller sen. opened his first confectionery store. The WAWI-Group can look back over an eventful history.

  • 1957

    Former Zentis sales representative and REWE buyer Walter Müller sen. decides to set up his own business. He opens a confectionery store in Zweibrücken, soon followed by six other branches in the area.

  • 1959

    Production of chocolate Easter bunnies is launched.

  • 1964

    Purchase of first automatic line for hollow chocolate figures.

  • 1982

    Start of chocolate puffed rice production.

  • 1983

    Dr Walter Müller and Jürgen Müller take over the family business.

  • 1988

    Construction of a new production plant and administration centre in Münchweiler.

  • 1994

    Start of production at WAWI Xiamen, China.

  • 1996

    Acquisition of Fuchs & Hoffmann, Bexbach/Saar. Start of production at WAWI Chocolate Inc, Laval, Montreal, Canada.

  • 1998

    Plants open in Melbourne, Australia.

  • 2004

    Opening of "transparent factory"/visitor centre in Pirmasens.

  • 2007

    WAWI celebrates 50 years in business.
    Acquisition of stake in Nappo and Moritz brands along with distribution rights.

  • 2009

    Opening of new production facility in Romania.
    Sale of 74.9% stake in Fuchs & Hoffmann GmbH to Krüger Gruppe, Bergisch Gladbach.

  • 2010

    Acquisition of minority 25.1% stake in premium chocolatier Confiserie Coppeneur et Compagnon, Bad Honnef.

  • 2013

    Comprehensive redesign and relaunch of WAWI brand and website.